Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Maggie is 21 weeks old!



The theme of the week is sleep or rather the lack there of... Maggie is a really good baby overall but she is getting to that age where she doesn't fall asleep anywhere at the drop of the hat. Since we lead a rather busy life slechping from school to swimming to work to the gym, etc, etc poor Magster is having a bit of hard time with it all. She gets overtired and then she gets quite fussy. She can't seem to get out of her own way long enough to fall asleep, with the eye rubbing and fussing. I think it is funny that babies have to learn to fall asleep. They do it so well at the beginning and then they hit this age around 5 months where it seems like they lose that ability and have to relearn it. In Maggie's case it also seems to be linked to her need to be with someone at all times.  She is constantly aware and watching everything going on around her and she has become especially aware of being left alone.  One thing is for sure she doesn't like being alone and she particularly doesn't like it when I am not there. So last night she slept in her own room for the first time. I was trying to get her to fall asleep on her own not while nursing. I made the mistake of not encouraging this ability with James and he still has issues falling asleep on his own so I'm hoping that lots of practice with Maggie will encourage better sleep habits. It went pretty well actually.  She did seem to wake up a little more often than when she sleeps in my room but with her pacifier and her mobile going she was able to fall back asleep pretty quickly for the most part. I did nurse her one time but that is pretty normal for her anyway. So we will practice napping in her crib today and see how that goes. Hopefully she will learn some good sleep habits and be able to fall sleep on her own without quite so much fussing. 
 
Does anyone have a good remedy for baby eczema? Both the boys had it but Maggie seems to be resisting all my normal remedies. She has it really badly on her arms where the boys had it on their legs- don't know if that makes a difference?
 
On the knitting front I haven't made much more progress on my dog from last week so not much to show. I've finished the body but am still working on the rest of it. I've got all kinds of knitting plans waiting to be put in motion though so I just need to get Maggie sleeping better so I can find some additional knitting time. Come and yarn along with us over at Ginny's place.

2 comments:

Knitters Notebook said...

Goodness how sweet!! Get some rest you can craft some other time:) Enjoy your new baby!!

momto5 said...

:) such a sweetheart. look at those cheeks! <3