Monday, May 3, 2010

Sleep...

I never understood before I became a full-time night shift working mom of 2 boys under 2 how sleep-deprived I could be and still function. As a mother sleep takes on a whole new meaning. As my college roomates will attest I used to be able to sleep though anything (and often did sleep through things I probably shouldn't have)! And yet now if I get 4 hours of sleep in a row I feel like I have had a full night's worth. I honestly can't remember the last time I slept for more than maybe 6 hours straight- it has literally been years! On a recent car trip I looked back to find both of the boys sleeping like the little angels they pretend to be and was struck by not only their beauty but my true appreciation of how nice it is to have a few quiet moments to reflect on how beautiful they are when they sleep! Too bad I couldn't have run for my bed at the same time to take a nap.. sadly my days of sleeping in the car seem to have come to an end. It was so nice in this moment to be able to look at my boys (after of course craning my neck around so I could get a look at James rear-facing) and ponder their similarities and differences in close proximity. Xander is going to look so much like his daddy- albeit it with blond hair and blue eyes and his mommy's coloring and James is a baby version of Uncle James- apparently his name choice was very appropriate! And yet they have the same nose (hopefully it will look more like mine and not like Frank's)! It's so easy when they sleep to just feel your heart overflow with love for them (as compared to recent waking hours since Xander has discovered the word "no"!).

1 comment:

Reba said...

oh they are beautiful! i really like your new blog layout. i especially like the crafty corner!! naomi adores that doll. i am letting her name the doll when she can talk--i have named all of her other toys, but this one it seems appropriate that she come up with the name. for now she is just dolly. naomi carries the dolly with her and talks to her. some nights i have set her up on the bureau so in the morning when i come in, first thing naomi points to her dolly. :)