Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Yarn Along

Here I am yarning along with Ginny again this week. Come and join us! Mostly I have been working on James' Milo this week. I have the yolk finished and am moving onto the body. I somehow messed up the cable after the first repeat so I had to rip out an inch or so and redo the cable so I am not quite back to where I was before-the hazards of late night knitting! I'm about to take a break again from this and work on an origami shrug for myself. It will be the first big thing that I have knit for myself ever and I am very afraid. I have had the pattern and the yarn for almost a year but I'm so afraid I'll spend all that time knitting and then it won't fit or I will hate it, blah blah blah. I figured a shrug would be a good place to start because the fit should be forgiving. We are attending a wedding next month so it also gives me a deadline, which is why the milo will be put aside again for awhile seeing as the deadline for that isn't until Christmas. I have way too many things I want to do in the next 3 months!

I am reading The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks- truthfully I should say I have just started it since I have only read about 10 pages so far. The whole moral and ethical morass that this book represents makes my head ache a little. When does the good of the many outweigh the good of the few or in this case the one? From what I have read so far there is no way that it was moral or ethical for these scientists to have used Ms. Lacks cells in the way that they did but the good that has come from the research is undeniable. So we'll see what I think when I get to the end of the book...

The boys are feeling better. Xander's fever finally broke and he is definitely feeling better as he runs around the house like a madman! I think the 2 of them are making up for lost time seeing as they couldn't terrorize me or the house for almost 24 hours straight! James started feeling better before Xander which was really a problem because all he wanted to do was play with his brother and the last thing Xander wanted was James trying to wrestle with him. But they seem mostly back to their old selves this afternoon. Their ears are still pretty gooey and yucky but it has only been 48 hours of abx and they are both on a 10 day course. It took almost 5 days for Xander's ear to clear up with our first round of MRSA. I have a feeling that the runny noses are here to stay for the winter. It's truly amazing to me how much drainage one tiny little nose is capable of producing. I finally succumbed and purchased one of these from amazon.com so we'll see how it works once it arrives. I made the somewhat dumb mistake of trying to get the free super saver shipping and combining the item that I wanted now with a pre-order for a book coming out 10/18. What I didn't realize is that because they ship everything at once it means that the 2 things I kinda wanted now won't ship until the book is released- whoops! I am really excited though about the book- it is Stephanie Pearl McPhee's newest All Wound Up. I so enjoyed her last 2 Yarn Harlot books I couldn't resist ordering the new one. Future yarn along post anyone...

No comments: