Saturday, February 13, 2010

lost in the shuffle

I swear the last couple of weeks have just disappeared on me! Both the boys have been sick and it has been sucking the energy out of me. I think everyone is feeling better now so hopefully that means that James will go back to sleeping more than 2 hours in a row and we can get back to life as "normal."

I have nothing much to report, we have spent a lot of time huddling at home recently. We did hire a contractor to work on our house- we are starting with the front door and the demolition of the hearth. Now we ahve to figure out where we want them to put all the brick and get that room cleaned out so they can work- and hope that when it comes time to move the stove they can actually move it without having to take it completely apart (b/c we're not sure it will go back together again!). Then assuming all goes well we'll go ahead with new windows and siding in the summer. I'd like to do the bath project while we are at it but then I keep coming up with all sorts of projects and I have to draw the line somewhere! although I will probably see about installing a butler staircase to the attic b/c somehow storage room is getting very sparse! Somehow we have managed to fill up all the closets in our house and the basement looks like a junkyard- some spring cleaning (and purging- difficult with 2 pack rats in the house) is in order this year!

We got new ducks- chocolate muscovys who were featured on the cover of the current issue of Backyard Poultry if you'd like to see them. Unfortunetly 2 of the newbies have succumbed to unseen forces- racoon, foxes or maybe Cassie... If they wouldn't fly out of their pen then they would be better off but what can you do! Unfortunetly one of the casualties was the drake so now we just have a black drake- so I guess it is a good thing we don't care about pure bred chocolates...Baby chicks coming on monday or tues- we got the brown egg layer assortment from McMurrays plus a few silver laced wyandottes, some aracuanas, and some khaki campbell ducks so we will have waterfowl galore! Hopefully we can train the little ones to stay in the pen so they don't get eaten! I'll post pics whent hey arrive- I'm hoping Xander will be interested in them- he loves to help me feed the birds as it is so I can't imagine that he wouldn't be interested in the babies. I guess maybe I should hope that he isn't too rough with them!

No comments: