Thursday, August 11, 2011

The reno continues...


August 11th, Day 5: Things are moving along pretty well here. We spent an inordinate amount of time at Home Depot last night deciding on flooring and then actually getting the stuff loaded into the car. It's Home Depot so getting someone to help you is always a challenge- actually there was a really nice guy John in flooring who was extremely helpful but apparently he was the only one working in flooring last night! So we spent a lot of time waiting around for him to be available to get us what we needed. He had to get an extra pallet load. So we (ok I) decided on a natural oak flooring. There were two less expensive options, a darker colored oak and a maple, but seeing as everything that we have already is oak it seemed silly to go with maple but the less expensive oak just wasn't the right color. So I ended up spending a little more than I was hoping but I am very pleased with the flooring that we got. You can see a sneak peak of the wall color and the flooring in this picture.

This morning I have been busy as well. The priming is all done and I have one coat of paint up in the walls. I am loving this paint color- it's such a pretty pale (but not too pale) aqua/teal green/blue color. I found some fabric at NE Fabrics that is going to make some awesome drapes. It's the perfect teal complement color in a coral motif- so perfect color match and perfect theme match. We'll call it my ocean oasis. This morning was spent painting and demoing my closet. I cleaned everything out, took down most of the hardware (there are a couple of screws Frank is going to need to tackle- the former owners really liked to use glue!), pulled out all the trim, and my favorite part ripped out all the nasty green carpet in the bedroom and my closet. Frank needs to clean out his closet so I can rip the carpet out of there too! It was great to rip that up. I pulled the pad too and now I just need to go and pull up all the tack strips around the edge of the room. It makes the room look so much bigger already without that horrible carpet! And I knew the carpet was gross but seeing all the stains on the underside of it and the amount of dirt under it just made me so much more glad it is going away. Gross!

And here is my closet ready to be painted. I think the closets I am just going to do in white but they could use some freshening up as well. I'm still deciding whether or not to do a new organizer in my closet. Frank's I think definitely needs it so he can better utilize his space but mine is ok and we have ideas for other projects down the road that will infringe upon the closet so it seems sill to fix it up now only to pull it out later. Then again my dream plans involve spending a lot of money that we don't have so I might as well make my closet usable for now since it'll be years before we can afford other projects!
Of course I am working the next 4 days so I expect very little will get done in that time. Painting must be complete by next Wednesday though cause I want to get the floors in and the floor guy is available end of next week. Wish me luck!

1 comment:

Emily said...

I'm looking forward to seeing the end results! Makes me want to do a little reno work myself.