Tuesday, May 17, 2011

James' visit to the ENT

Today I took James to the ENT. It went pretty much as I expected and on June 14th he will be have PE tubes placed and his adenoids removed. The PE tubes were a given, with his hearing loss and flat typanograms. The dr said that his ear drums are actually bowing slightly outwards so who knows how well he is hearing on a day to day basis. I do find that he seems to hear better on some days- it fluctuates for sure. Some day he makes good progress with his speech and others he basically grunts all day. He has finally mastered the sign for "more" and has mama, daddy, and milk down pat. Right now the lymph nodes on the back of his head are so swollen from all the bug bites that they actually look painful although they don't seem to be bothering him all that much. He definitely has some drainage issues around his ears though. Then we discussed his adenoids. Given Xander's history and some of the research that I have been doing I was inclined to just take them out too and the Dr said that with his snoring and the sheer amount of fluid in his ears he would also recommend an adenoidectomy at the same time. I just know that 3 trips to the OR in 9 months is more than enough for me and I don't want to repeat what happened with Xander. So Tubes round 3 and adenoids round 2 here we come- let's hope that is the end of it for now!

No comments: