Tuesday, June 14, 2011

James' 1st trip to the OR

This morning I took James to have his first (and hopefully last) set of PE tubes placed and his adenoids removed. My mom came and stayed with Xander so I could takes James by myself and Frank could still go to work. We weren't the first case this time which really surprised me given that Xander was first both times and he was older both times. So we didn't have to be there quite as early which would have been nice if James had slept slightly later but of course today he decided to get up at the butt crack of dawn. I needed a bulletproof vest this morning! Trying to keep James from nursing for like 3 hours was the most challenging thing about today. So we got there, got checked in, hurried up and waited for the anesthesiologist to come so I could sign consent for the surgery. We gave him his versed to relax him and then he snuggled up in my lap and got all googly eyed. I was able to just hand him over to the nurse with no fuss or muss! I had a slight moment of panic after I went to the waiting room and they paged the pediatrician stat to the recovery room but it was the case before James that had some problems and they seemed to everything under control once I got back to the recovery room. Everything went well with his surgery and Dr Wilson brought me back to the recovery room and we beat James there! So I was waiting for him when they wheeled him out and I was able to pick him right up and snuggle him. He was starting to get fussy so I just put him to breast and he calmed right down. He nursed the whole time while he was in that twilight zone and then he just sort of looked up at me and was like "hi mommy." And then we went home. It was amazingly painless relatively speaking. We even stopped at Wal-Mart on the way home. He fell asleep on the way home and did take a good long nap this afternoon but now he's wrestling with Xander so I am guessing he is back to his old self!

No comments: